Organizations around the world are beginning to acquire blockchain solutions.
The problem is, they do not have the knowledge or framework to distinguish between a reliable solution and a hyped prototype.
The BMM helps solution providers demonstrate their credibility to potential customers as well as provides a roadmap to continuous improvement.
In some cases, the government can provide financial assistance to use the BMM to improve and demonstrate blockchain solutions.
About the BMM Series
- Why do we need a BMM?
- What is the Purpose of the BMM?
- Who developed the BMM?
About the BMM Requirements
- What is the Structure & Content of the BMM?
- What are the BMM Core Requirements?
- What are the BMM Functional Levels?
- What Are Domain-Specific Requirements?
- How Can I Get a Copy of the BMM Requirements?
About BMM Assessments
- What are the Benefits of a BMM Assessment?
- How Are Assessments Conducted?
- How Can I Get a Copy of the Assessment Requirements?
- What is the Pricing for a BMM Assessment?
- Can I get Government Provided Financial Support?
BMM Career & Business Opportunities
- How Can I Become a BMM Consultant, Trainer, or Assessor?
- How Can I Get BMM Training?
- How Do I Get Started?
Why Do We Need a Blockchain Maturity Model?
Governments and enterprises around the world are preparing to acquire blockchain solutions. However, most enterprises do not have the knowledge or framework to be able to assess a good blockchain from a bad blockchain. Consequently, they will always default to a traditional solution provider. Newer, agile, and innovative companies cannot compete with traditional government vendors. For this reason, the blockchain maturity model has been established to solve that problem.
What is the Purpose of the Blockchain Maturity Model?
The purpose of this model is to:
- Provide a roadmap to establish, implement, maintain, and continually improve blockchain solutions.
- Demonstrate that a solution can be trusted to meet industry standards.
- Provide acquisition professionals with the information needed to evaluate blockchain solutions.
- Establish the criteria to achieve a Government Blockchain Association (GBA) certification.
Who Developed the BMM?
The BMM was developed by the GBA Standards & Certification Working Group over two years. This group includes 34 individuals from government and the private sector. Members of this group include Chief Information Officers, Chief Technical Officers, engineers, auditors, business executives, & managers.
What is the Structure & Content of the BMM?
The BMM consists of core requirements and domain specific requirements. The core requirements are further divided into functional levels.
What are the BMM Core Requirements
Every blockchain solution should meet a common set of core requirements. For the BMM these core requirements are described as solution elements. They are:
- Ecosystem Sustainability
What are the BMM Functional Levels
Each element is divided into five levels. They are:
- Level 1: Initial
- Level 2: Documented
- Level 3: Validated
- Level 4: Production
- Level 5: Optimizing
What are Domain-Specific Requirements?
Domain specific requirements are applicable to some industries. For example, voting blockchain solutions may have unique requirements. They include the requirement for:
- Separation of voter identity from voter selection.
- Election results shall be release at a time in accordance with election rules.
These domain specific requirements do not have levels. They are required for an assessment to be published in a specified domain.
They are optional and are in the process of being established for numerous domains.
How can I get a copy of the BMM?
Download the Blockchain Maturity Model v1.0
How can I Provide Feedback About the BMM?
Complete the BMM Document Comment & Feedback Form.
What are the Benefits of a BMM Assessment?
Having your solution assessed provides a variety of benefits including:
- Differentiating your solution from competition.
- As a startup, your company can show investors that your product has been assessed and is certified by a trusted international organization.
- While pursuing government work your solution will meet upcoming government requirements around blockchain solutions.
How Are Assessment Conducted?
BMM assessments are not just tests. They are facilitated improvement activities that results in the achievement of enhanced capability & performance. The assessment team consists of both internal and external members to provide both insight and objectivity. It is a collaborative process that is part of a continuous improvement culture. Criteria is established and the assessment ends when the desired outcome has been achieved.
The appraisal lifecycle includes the following activities:
- Appraisal Team Review
- Appraisal Conference
- Ratings & Deliver Findings
How Can I Get a Copy of the Assessment Requirements?
The BMM Assessment Requirements will be published on May 24, 2022. The First BMM Triaining will be conducted live and virtually on May 27, 2022 in Washington, DC during the GBA Blockchain & Sustainable Economic Development Confernece.
What is the Pricing for a BMM Assessment?
BMM assessments typically take about 40 hours and require at least 4 team members. Specific assessment costs are quoted depending on team member rates. Prior to the end of the year, the GBA will review the pricing model based on actual assessment costs and assessment team feedback. The 2023 pricing will be adjusted based on a review of that data.
Can I get Government Provided Financial Support?
Yes, the GBA has a program to help members apply for government provided financial assistance to cover the costs of assessments and the preparatory activities. In some cases, the assistance may be more than the actual fee charged for the Assessment.
How Can I Become a BMM Consultant, Trainer, or Assessor?
GBA members that wish to become a BMM professional must meet requirements in three categories.
The requirements are:
- GBA Blockchain Foundations
- BMM Specialist Course
- BMM Advanced Course
- Lead Assessor Course or
- BMM Trainer Course
- Education and/or Experience
- Requirements differ depending on the BMM role.
How Can I Get BMM Training?
Register for orientation and training events on the GBA BMM Event Calendar Page.
How Do I Get Started?
Just fill out the Form Below.